Bombshell, Maria Menounos has been in a relationship with director / producer Kevin Undergaro since April 1998. After 19 years of dating, Maria the host of a daily show on SiriusXM, “Conversations with Maria Menounos” is finally engaged.
Listening to Kevin’s surprise proposal on Howard Stern this morning just brought me to tears. He described their relationship struggles and how they finally made it to this point. I can totally relate to that. Having dated my husband for 16 years (surviving the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY) we too got engaged and immediately tied the knot 6 months after. Looking back and now married 5 years, I wouldn’t change one single thing. That was our path that led us to where we are today. I guess you just have to go through it sometimes. I LOVE YOU, BABE!
According to some marriage / divorce studies… “Dating for a while before tying the knot suggests the couple is in it for the long haul.” Okay this doesn’t mean you should date more than a decade before taking the plunge, the study suggests dating over 3 years before getting married. But the notion is all the same.
Dr. Keller Gleans’ list on what makes a relationship last:
- Commit to one another.
- Have engaging life projects – keep growing intellectually.
- Regular sexual intimacy.
- Listen to each other: Ask questions–Give answers.
- Appreciate one another.
- Stay attractive.
- For men, include your partner.
- For women, give him space.
- Be honest and trustworthy.
- Tell your mate what you need.
- Accept your mate’s shortcomings
- Be respectful.
- Mind your manners.
- Have a sense of humor and use it.
- Argue constructively.
- Never threaten to depart.
- Forget the past.
- Avoid affairs.
- Don’t assume the relationship will last forever.
- Build and work on the relationship every day.
- Take relationship problems as a chance to grow.
Wow, that’s a long freaking list. Looks like we have lots to work on.